Wednesday, February 6, 2008

8 weeks and counting...


This past Friday I went to my first doctor's appointment. I guess it was actually a mid-wife appointment, because there are going to be enough mid-wives in my group that I can go with just the MW if I want to, and I do. She also said that by September there should be a mid-wife on duty everyday in my hospital.

Anyway, it was pretty uneventful. I didn't even have an exam. She said that for insurance purposes, to get the ultrasound paid for, that they have to assume that we don't know the date I got pregnant. So, I am now scheduled for an ultrasound on Monday and that should give us a more accurate due date. Right now it is set at September 13th. I am betting that isn't going to change much.

Then after the ultrasound on Monday, I go back for a full exam next Friday. I'll be nearly 10 weeks then, so hopefully we'll get to hear the heartbeat. I guess we might get to see a little flicker of a heartbeat on Monday so that is exciting too.

Right now, I feel pretty exhausted. I am napping at any chance I get. I have not been sleeping well at night and I have been getting up to pee every few hours. UGH. Until today I hadn't noticed too much nausea. But today I woke up sick and I haven't felt quite right all day. I went to the store and bought a bunch of milk, bread and crackers. I couldn't even think about any meal planning. I was just trying to get the basics and get out of there.

Talking to my mom or Jim's mom has been hard. I am so close to slipping about my doctor appointments or napping so much. My brain feels fuzzy and I can't remember what I am saying. I guess it is no big deal if I slip, but after not telling anyone with either of the girls I am just superstitious this time. It really isn't that much longer now anyway. I just want to hear that nice strong heartbeat and know that we are past the high miscarriage risk before we all start celebrating.

Jim's mom called this week with the news that a close family member is pregnant. She said she is due in October. She has 2 boys who are very close to the same ages as my girls. So that will be really fun when we let her know that we will both be expecting again so close together.

I have not really noticed too much of a change physically yet. I can't really remember when I started showing with the girls. I already have a belly from late night snacking anyway so I guess it is a good cover for pregnancy. :) I have been wearing my larger size jeans just because I always have to pee when anything pushes on my belly. I am hoping to make it through to warmer weather before I have to buy any maternity clothes. I have some maternity jeans I can pull out if I need to. I am not sure about tops, I think those are mostly heavy sweaters, I can't really remember what I have.

Well, I'll update next after the ultrasound.

No comments: